For U Visa Applicants:

Answers to Questions about EADs, 4 years or 2 years, Green Card period etc.:

Under the new Guidance issued on June 15, 2021, 

  1. People can get Work Permits (EADs) once they have been fingerprinted if USCIS determined the application is Bonafide.
  2. The EAD issued is in (c)(14) category known as ‘Deferred Status’
  3. USCIS is issuing it for 4 years instead of the 1 or 2 years previously
  4. This does not mean the U Visa petition is approved. When USCIS gets to your case in line, they will make a decision at that time. If approved, you get EAD for 4 years in (a)(19) category.
  5. The 3 years for Green Card starts from this period.